Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Tribulations of a Philosopher

I was having lunch at a local pub, and got up to go to the gents’ room. There are two at this establishment, but both were occupied, so I took up a position midway between them, in order to grab whichever one opened first. While I was standing there, the owner approached me and asked, “Do you need anything?” (Since I was midway, it wasn’t clear I was waiting for a restroom to become free.)

I responded, “Oh, both bathrooms are in use, so I’ve just positioned myself to move in whatever direction nec…”

I then came to a complete halt. I was thinking, “Is it really right to regard my choice as ‘necessary’? Couldn’t I choose to head to the toilet that freed up second? But, by necessity, perhaps I mean ‘rationally necessary,’ and my freedom of will actually consists in embracing the commands of reason as those of my own will?”

After a couple of seconds, I noticed the owner was staring at me, and I said, “necessary.”

This really happened. Such are the woes of thinking philosophically.

1 comment:

  1. I think he was staring at you because you spelled the first syllable as "necc."

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...