Canadian Goose Arctic Program

I was walking in NYC one day this fall when I was surprised to see several people nearby, wearing identical jackets, with patches claiming that they were participants in the "Canadian Goose Arctic Program." Maybe the Canadian goose was in trouble, despite its ubiquitous presence on golf courses?

Then I saw a few more participants, and then a few more. Soon I was seeing them everywhere. Apparently, there were hundreds of participants in this program, and they had all descended on New York City!

But when I asked my friend about this, he told me, "It's not a program, it's a brand."

"What?! Why would someone buy a jacket carrying such an idiotic patch, you know, given they aren't in any such program?"

"Not only do they buy them," my friend explained, "they pay $400 a jacket for the privilege of wearing the idiotic patch."

All just so one can be sure one is "fashionable"!


Comments

  1. Classic signalling behaviour, naturally, like lighting a cigar with a $100 bill. It signals that they've got resources to burn.

    To my eye (although perhaps I am not the person they are attempting to impress!), it also signals that they're mindless dopes, or at least were behaving that way at the time they made this purchase. As Macklemore memorably observed:

    "They be like, 'Oh, that Gucci? That’s hella tight'
    I’m like, 'Yo, that’s 50 dollars for a t-shirt.'
    Limited edition, let’s do some simple addition
    50 dollars for a t-shirt, that’s just some ignorant b**** shit
    I call that getting swindled and pimped, shit.
    I call that getting tricked by business."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paying for the high price.


      Interestingly this is a real brand of real high end coats for real arctic conditions. Those go for about a thousand bucks. But no one in NY needs a coat that will keep you warm at -50.

      Delete
  2. PS I complained on another thread. The name of this blog has not changed in a manatee's age. How about Canadian Manatee Aquatic Program. Manatee in a touque. With a beer. Could make make big bucks on t-shirts and mugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness