Saturday, January 09, 2010

I Can't Give It Away on 7th Avenue

My Mac laptop wasn't playing any sound, and when I tried to turn the volume up or down, a little circle with the line across it graphic came up, like it was telling me "No sound allowed."

So I searched Google for 'mac laptop "no sound"', and the very first hit recommended: "i stuck a head phone plug in the jack and smacked it a couple times and bam it works".

I tried this method and, bing-badda-bing, "it works"!

Two lessons:

1) Google is the best tech support desk ever, way better than doing something dumb like calling the manufacturer.

2) Smacking electronic devices: the fix that never grows old!

3 comments:

  1. This seems vaguely relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NxGO2lx-A0

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, John, this is the Web -- we are allowed to link to web sites!

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...