I have discovered a new form of anxiety I can suffer from

I'm one of those people who, when I leave the apartment, am sure I left the burner / AC / lights on, and I have to run back and check. Or, at a show, I'm sure I have misplaced my ticket, and I have to check my pocket. And, most often, the fear proves groundless: the burner is off, and the ticket is right where it ought to be.

Well, tonight, I left the office, got two blocks away... and had to run back, because I was sure I had forgotten to push my code to my GitHub repo. (This was important because I needed to do more work from home.)

And, of course, I found I had pushed it.

So now I've got this as well.

Comments

  1. To counter this I set up my home machine so I can ssh into it from anywhere I am working and run the git push I really did forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All set up, at work on home, access from my phone. Work should be stable, but what do you do if your ISP gives you a new home IP address?

      Delete
    2. I use nopip.com to set up a domain name for whatever IP address my ISP gives me. They have a free tier of service. My router can send the current IP to noip.com. For security I would recommend disallowing root access via ssh. /etc/sshd_config

      Delete
  2. Do you have a metric whereby we can measure this effect?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness