Sunday, March 23, 2014

Anarchy in Ancient Egypt

The First Intermediate Period saw the collapse of central government in Egypt. How did this work out? Here is a poem from that time:

To whom can I speak today?
(One’s) fellows are evil;
The friends of today do not love.
To whom can I speak today?
Hearts are rapacious:
Every man seizes his fellow’s goods.
(To whom can I speak today?)
The gentle man has perished,
(But) the violent man has access to everybody.
To whom can I speak today?
(Though) a man should arouse wrath by his evil
character,
He (only) stirs everyone to laughter, (so) wicked is
his sin.
To whom can I speak today?
Men are plundering;
Everyman seizes his fellow’s (goods).
To whom can I speak today?
The foul fiend is an intimate,
(But) a brother, with whom one worked,
has become an enemy.

Pretty much as usual, we could say.

1 comment:

  1. You have set Rothbardian hearts aflutter.

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...