Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Models are like caricatures

Mary Morgan, in her book The World in the Model, likens models to caricatures, and offers the following graphic during her discussion:


That this process of caricature is interesting and informative I do not doubt: I am no critic of caricatures or of models! Seeing Louis Philippe as a pear, and seeing the world as simply an interrelated system of mathematical equations, are each interesting perspectives.

But if someone asks me if caricature of Louis Philippe as a pear is perhaps not the actual cause of the real Louis Philippe, who is a sort of cognitive illusion, I must admit I am so flabbergasted that I hardly know how to reply.

I spent several years modeling options in the financial markets. The programs I wrote to do that made a fair number of traders a good deal of money. but imagine their surprise if, one day when their actual trading lost money, I told him that this was of no regard: my models were the real thing, and those models had made money, and the traders' feeling that they had lost money that day was merely a subjective experience.

2 comments:

  1. But if someone asks me if caricature of Louis Philippe as a pear is perhaps not the actual cause of the real Louis Philippe, who is a sort of cognitive illusion, I must admit I am so flabbergasted that I hardly know how to reply.

    Bottom line, the equations replicate the world, not the other way around, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say there abstractions from the world, and highlight certain aspects of it, just the way the caricature of Louis Philippe highlight certain aspects of his appearance.

      Delete

On the way to the banquet...

There was an entrepreneur, Elon, a great creative genius, who, having made his fortune, retired to a manor high on a hill overlooking a sma...