You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave

I have used many software programs over many years. Some start up slowly, some load swiftly. But I think in all my years involved with computers, I have only run across one program that takes far, far longer -- on the order of 10 or 20 times as long -- to exit as it does to start up: iPython. (Anaconda distribution, Mac OS X Yosemite.)

What in the world could cause this behavior? One would think that anything that has to be broken down on exit had to be erected at start up, and that generally the erecting takes longer than the breaking down. Any ideas?

Comments

  1. "One would think that anything that has to be broken down on exit had to be erected at start up, and that generally the erecting takes longer than the breaking down. Any ideas?"

    iPython is a political animal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness