Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Sociology implies Bob Murphy is an atheist

A sociological study finds that the majority of libertarians are atheists. (I think this might be true, but let us just suppose it is.)

Now I turn my attention to Bob Murphy, and discover that he is a libertarian. I write, "Sociology implies that Bob Murphy is an atheist, but I have discovered that he is a theist!"

I present this as a refutation of sociology.

From the comments he has posted recently, apparently Bob thinks that this is a valid form of reasoning. And not only is it valid, I am 100%, unequivocally wrong when I object to it.

Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. OK if you want to go this route, I can't stop you. But if you ever write anything like, "Evolutionary psychology says such-and-such, but in reality..." I am going to pounce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not clear what "route" I am going. Is this not a close analogy to the basketball example?

      Delete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...