News

Loading...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Intransitive Verbs

I've blogged before about my annoyance at a store clerk asking me, "Can I help?" Well the practice has spread to the US, and now I've encountered an even worse intransitive use of a transitive verb: I asked for ice in a supermarket the other day, and the cashier said, "We're out. Try the gas station up the road -- they might have." Two days later, I heard the same usage: "Oh, he might have."

We've become so busy we can't afford the time to say "it."

3 comments:

  1. "Might have" is also short for "might have done" and perhaps "might have been."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They might have done ice"?

    "They might have been ice"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:10 PM

    I alwasys want to have a lot of goonzu gold and then i will give my friends some goonzu money to make them strong. I like to buy goonzu gold and i often go to earn the goonzu online gold to exchange some cheap goonzu gold to make me strong.

    ReplyDelete