...by attacking a smokestack. I am curious what our libertarian friends who believe in manmade global warming think of this verdict. I am sure they will tell us.
Some of my thoughts are noted here, if the mountain doesn`t mind paying me a visit. Maybe I`ll even get a reaction!
It`s off-thread, but in light of the front page news on our latest scandal regarding oil & gas on public lands, you might care to revisit my post about cranking up pressure on politicians to cut American citizens directly in on all of the fithly lucre If politians, bureaucrats and Alaskans get to play with the roylaties, why can`t we? If we did get a cut, you can bet there`ll be citizens, prosecutors and lawyers all paying closer attention to how public resources are managed. Nothing like semi-privatization to alter incentives.
Bob, this may be the single silliest post you've ever written, and given that IIRC you're a creationist, that takes some doing.
Why on earth do you imagine that I or people like me, who recognize the truth of AGW, are obligated to answer for either the action or the verdict? Because we aren't.
Sorry I was just referring to Silas and Tokyo Tom. I actually believe in manmade global warming, I just don't believe most of the recent global warming is manmade.
Also, I wouldn't call myself a creationist, except in a sense that is equivalent to a theist.
Hmmm. Apparently your curiosity was a rather idle one, Bob ....
Wabulon, so having eaten of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, we have not inherited any responsibility for understanding or considering the consequences of our own actions? Great!
Ancaps often declare, "All rights are property rights." I was thinking about this the other day, in the context of running into libertarians online who insisted that libertarianism supports "the freedom of movement," and realized that this principle actually entails that people without property have no rights at all, let alone any right to "freedom of movement." Of course, immediately, any ancap readers still left here are going to say, "Wait a second! Everyone owns his own body! And so everyone at least has the right to not have his body interfered with." Well, that is true... except that in ancapistan, one has no right to any place to put that body, except if one owns property, or has the permission of at least one property owner to place that body on her land. So, if one is landless and penniless, one had sure better hope that there are kindly disposed property owners aligned in a corridor from wherever one happens to be to wherever the...
In this paper , Hoppe, Hülsmann, and Block (HHB) make their ethical case against fractional reserve banking (FRB) based on the fact that "two individual owners cannot be the exclusive owner of one and the same thing at the same time." They then posit that since fractional reserve bank notes creates multiple titles or claims to the "same" gold, they are inherently fraudulent. In analyzing this claim, the first thing we will have to do is to turn it into a remotely sensible claim. No one who deposits money at a bank thinks they are entitled to the same money back. What they want, when they go to get their money out, is the same amount of money back. What a gold-backed fractional reserve note comprises is a claim to a certain amount of gold, not certain particular pieces of gold. I hope that change to their argument is uncontroversial! So their complaint comes down to this: if a bank issues pieces of paper that allow the bearer to claim a certain amount of gold...
Taxation is not theft: "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves." -- Romans 13 The key idea implicit here, and the one that turned me on the subject of whether or not taxation is theft, is that "every soul" owes obedience to the "governing authorities." Now, if that is a debt I truly owe , then, when those authorities levy the taxes they need to do the job of governing, I owe them those taxes, and attempts to collect them certainly do not constitute acts of theft. And obviously it doesn't matter at all, from this point of view, whether or not I "signed" any sort of "social contract." (In fact, the history of political thought since the Reformation can be read as an attempt to find a secular rep...
Some of my thoughts are noted here, if the mountain doesn`t mind paying me a visit. Maybe I`ll even get a reaction!
ReplyDeleteIt`s off-thread, but in light of the front page news on our latest scandal regarding oil & gas on public lands, you might care to revisit my post about cranking up pressure on politicians to cut American citizens directly in on all of the fithly lucre If politians, bureaucrats and Alaskans get to play with the roylaties, why can`t we? If we did get a cut, you can bet there`ll be citizens, prosecutors and lawyers all paying closer attention to how public resources are managed. Nothing like semi-privatization to alter incentives.
Bob, this may be the single silliest post you've ever written, and given that IIRC you're a creationist, that takes some doing.
ReplyDeleteWhy on earth do you imagine that I or people like me, who recognize the truth of AGW, are obligated to answer for either the action or the verdict? Because we aren't.
Jim,
ReplyDeleteSorry I was just referring to Silas and Tokyo Tom. I actually believe in manmade global warming, I just don't believe most of the recent global warming is manmade.
Also, I wouldn't call myself a creationist, except in a sense that is equivalent to a theist.
God created global warming (unless you don't believe in global warming), so He wants the planet warmer, and we should all frgeddabahdit awready.
ReplyDeleteHmmm. Apparently your curiosity was a rather idle one, Bob ....
ReplyDeleteWabulon, so having eaten of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, we have not inherited any responsibility for understanding or considering the consequences of our own actions? Great!