Monday, May 20, 2013

Cities of the world

London is great, if a little nihilistic. San Francisco has unbelievable natural beauty. Philadelphia surprised me with how much I liked it.

Dublin is like a very big, friendly pub with some cool statues and manuscripts in it. Cardiff is like a somewhat smaller pub with more drunks. The Germanic cities I've been in (Amsterdam, Strausbourg, Zurich, Luzerne, Berne) are stunningly orderly, clean, and aesthetically pleasing.

I could go on, but the fact remains: I lucked out. I live in the best urban neighborhood on the planet. Well, best for me anyway. Every time I take a stroll in it I try to remind myself how nice the place is.

(And the place I live is in one of the pictures Wikipedia uses: I'm not saying which one.)

4 comments:

  1. Best? You live in Florence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firenze e' bellisima, ma... troppo poco verde! The center is 100% stone.

      Besides, it needs some decent art.

      Delete
  2. "And the place I live is in one of the pictures Wikipedia uses: I'm not saying which one."

    I know you're claiming sanctuary, but one of these days St. Mary's Star of the Sea is going to make you move out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, but I actually DO live in the other church they showed!

      Delete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...