Thursday, July 24, 2014

Historical documents, detached from life

"La storia, staccata dal documento vivo e resa cronaca, non è più un atto spirituale, ma una cosa, un complesso di suoni o di altri segni. Ma anche il documento, staccato dalla vita, è nient'altro che una cosa, simile all'altra, un complesso di suoni e di altri segni: per esempio, i suoni e le lettere nelle quali fu già comunicata una legge, le linee intagliate nel marmo e che manifestarono un sentimento religioso mercé la figura del dio, un mucchio di ossa con le quali si attuò un tempo l'organismo di un uomo o di un animale." -- Benedetto Croce, Teoria e storia della storiografia, p. 23

"History, detached from the living document and made into chronicle, is no longer a spiritual act, but a thing, a complex of sounds or of other signs. But the document also, detached from life, is nothing other than a thing, similar to the other, a complex of sounds and other signs: for example, the sounds and the letters in which there was once communicated a law, the lines cut in marble that manifested a religious sentiment submitted to the figure of a god, a pile of bones that once shaped the body of a man or of an animal."

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gene... What fascinates you about the excerpt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find it interesting, though: Croce is a very important thinker.

      Delete
    2. Some of your posts I like immediately because I agree. Some I like immediately because they make me stop and think. This one, I didn't know what to do with. (Also, I didn't know what to do with your earlier, one-word response!)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I understand. I'm trying to read Croce in the original, and when I get a passage, I translate it and post it. At the least, that gives my Italian tutor a chance to critique my translation

      Delete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...