The country waiter and the city waiter

Toggling oneself back-and-forth between a country setting and a city setting makes one alert to the many small differences between lives in each place.

This morning for breakfast, my bill came to $14.87, and I paid with a twenty. In the city, there is a 99.9% chance that I would get five singles and $.13 back in change. Every city waiter seems to have learned with their mother's milk that you provide the customer with lots of singles, so that they have lots of options for tipping you.

But I was in the country, so I got back a five dollar bill and $.13, and had to go to the register and ask for singles. This seems to be the default behavior of country waiters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness