Friday, February 22, 2013

The Mouth of Truth

Once in a while I get a tin-eared commenter who complains about the blog title, and about how "arrogant" I am to claim this title for myself.

If you are inclined to do this, look over to your right on the screen. A little further. See that photo? That is a chintzy fortune-telling machine that was down the street from where I stayed in Siena. You'd pump in a Euro, and it would tell you you were going to meet a tall, dark stranger, or whatever. It was called "Mouth of Truth." (Yeah, no "the": I'm not sure why not.)

So the goal with the title was to be funny. If you think the joke failed, OK. But at least realize it was an attempt at a joke and not a serious claim. (Of course, I try to write the truth, but I am sure I often fail. Just not on "own-rates.")

2 comments:

  1. This will always be Crash Landing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was wondering why you kept that title for so long. I'm guessing that the more people complained the more determined you were to keep it.

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...