Sunday, October 02, 2016

Bacharach-Warwick

I was explaining to my daughter about the Bacharach-Warwick hitmaking combo. She is very much a cultural historian, and I was trying to convey to her how that duo very much epitomized a certain aspect of the 60s.

But doing so also got me thinking about their hits. Sometimes they were a bit kitschy, but at their best...

The moment I wake up
Before I put on my makeup
I say a little prayer for you...

If I ever write three lines that good, my Lord can take me from the earth that day, and I will not complain.

And this makes me break down and cry, when the duo greets each other:




By the way, Paul Griffin, who played piano on an incredible number of hits ("Peg," "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," "Like a Rolling Stone," "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "American Pie," etc.) once said he was always amazed when Bacharach called him in to play piano, since Bacharach was such a tremendous piano player himself.

2 comments:

  1. Any particular reason you did not mention Hal David?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... I just always seem to forget him! Not sure why!

      Delete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...