Localized Central Planning

I was listening to some guy on NPR talking about rebuilding New Orleans. He said something like, "We don't want a top-down approach to the rebuilding, with the federal government dictating what businesses and residences will go where." This really warmed my heart. It reminded me of when the Twin Towers got knocked down and people kept asking each other, "What do you think we should put in their place?" My non-interesting answer was, "I imagine the owners of that plot should build whatever yields them the most revenue."

My reminiscing was cut short when the NPR guy elaborated and said that local zoning would ensure that what "the community" wanted and needed would be built in the hurricane zone. I found out that it was Haley Barbour (sp?) talking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness