I decided to move some discussion from this post up to the top level here. Specifically, Watoosh wrote: "Well, if violence is defined as initiation of force (which, of course, presupposes certain property rights), then I think Rockwell is correct..." Well, if we define cats as elephants, then many people keep elephants in their house. More seriously, firstly, violence is not usually defined that way. It's defined as, you know, violence, so that, say, someone may respond violently or non-violently to someone who aggresses against them. Otherwise, it would make no sense to say, for instance, "He punched me, but I did not stoop to violence in response." And, secondly, the libertarian usage of "initiation of force" is very offbeat. If I wander onto someone's meadow, most people would not say I had "initiated force" -- I mean, sure, I used "force" against the earth to push off walking, but that's not force directed against...
Another interesting fall in prices is reflected in the $60-$80-ish prices of VHS in the 1980s and the current $18-ish price of DVDs now.
ReplyDeleteDisregarding rise in quality, we still find prices to have fallen by more than 75%. Were there a numerical way of measuring video and sound quality (there might be), then who knows how much of a price fall we have seen with respect to the same level of quality.
You are being unfair, the market is even better at lowering digital storage costs than you say. Calculate based on non-portable storage i.e hard disks. You'll find a 2TB drive costs you as little as $100
ReplyDeleteThat miracle came at the expense of the enslaved industrial worker.
ReplyDeleteGood point, Avram -- that is why I noted the portability of my memory stick.
ReplyDelete