America's Last Great Wilderness?

I was perusing A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson, and was rather surprised to see on the back that "he makes a moving plea for the conservation of America's last great wilderness."

The Appalachian Trail? What about huge chunks of the western US, or pretty much the entire state of Alaska?

I love wilderness, and I like to see some of it conserved, by making a bad argument discredits a good cause: it makes people wonder, "If they have to use this bad argument, is it because they have no good ones?"

Comments

  1. I could probably improve my knowledge on this subject by an order of magnitude by doing some googling, but I'm under the impression that nature groups have slowly bought up some of the "wilderness" so that they can preserve it... At least, that's a non-governmental solution that I'd love to point to, assuming it's real.

    Certainly, my temptation to Bill is to tell him that if he wants wilderness, he should *buy it*.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness