It's Just My Belief, Not a Fact

While perusing a thread discussing whether or not Mitt Romney's Mormonism should be relevant to his presidential candidacy, I found myself marveling at the contortions Americans go through in dealing with such issues, in their effort to appear non-judgmental in making a judgment. Many of the posters seemed to hold something like, "I'm open-minded, and would never vote against a person of any faith -- as long as that faith means no more to him than his choice of necktie."

One poster even asserted that "a person's religious faith... passes inspection as long as they... understand that faith is a belief, not a fact." In other words, she'll vote for someone as long as their ideas are an incoherent jumble, and they are able to "believe" something without thinking that it is a fact! "I believe it's raining out, but I know that, factually speaking, it is not."

Comments

  1. Haha, nice. A couple of the Che-lovers I work with have said as much.

    Of course, their statements are not the most coherent and are arguably quite jumbled... perhaps they are practicing what they preach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:00 AM

    if you likeghost gen ,you can get more
    ghost online gen .when you have
    ghost gold,you can brush
    ghost online gold,you will get more
    ghost money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness