Friday, February 14, 2014

I Can't Watch Shows at *That* Volume!

As I adjust the volume on my TV at night, trying to keep it as low as possible, for sleeping others, while still audible, for me, I find there certain numbers at which I just cannot rest.

Let's say that 30 was just a bit too loud.  I can turn the volume down, but I can't turn it down to 29. At 29, I feel I am teetering on a pyramid supported only by 1 at its basis. A volume of 29 is completely unstable! But at 28, ah, now that's comfortable: I've got 1, 2, 4, 7 and 14 all holding me up. There is a volume with which I can relax on the couch.

Sometimes, it is not easy being me.

3 comments:

  1. Well, 28 *is* a perfect number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene, why don't you take a break from watching the TV and read my first ever blog post instead? It is an Economics In One Lesson inspired dissection of Paul Krugmanisms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Oops, I meant Economics For Real People inspired, no EIOL...both great books, with similar titles!)

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...