It's like encountering a T-Rex on the corner





Comments

  1. Yeah, but if that's real wood and not particle board, you should snap it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but if that's real wood and not particle board, you should snap it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:12 PM

    We had one of those in my house when I was growing up, along with an old Hi-Fi system with 8-track; and a console stereo with 8-track, turntable, radio band-tuner, full EQ and old-school VU meters for each channel.

    When my parents finally upgraded, I asked if they could keep the console stereo, and they did. It sat for years in the unfinished room in the basement until one day I came home and noticed that it was gone.

    I swear, that thing had the thickest, smoothest, and richest tone that I've ever heard. When you'd blast it, you'd get the warmest analogue distortion ever, which is actually very pleasing to the ear (so long as you didn't push the amp too far). It was somewhat chambered and open inside (like a giant speaker box), so the speakers tended to really reflect the bass just right (even on songs where the bass is hidden in the mix).

    I remember distinctly that that thing caused my first instance of noticing the mix of a song--not just hearing the individual instruments themselves, but also the stuff on the production and technical side of things--and I think that it was what ultimately made me want to play the bass guitar (or any instrument).

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Gene, that's just what I needed today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness