More Confused Than Ever

As of 11:30 PM EST tonight, CNN is reporting that Huckabee is beating McCain by a 3-to-1 margin in Kansas. Say what?!

OK, sure, Kansas is a fairly Christian, conservative state. However, it's outside Huckabee's supposed "base" in the South. That he might beat McCain there is not so stunning, but... 3-to-1?! Running against the candidate already anointed as the GOP nominee?

This sure is a weird primary season. I'm just about prepared to hear that Ross Perot, Jesse Ventura, and Oprah Winfrey are joining forces to launch a third-party challenge, with the backing of Byron Low-Tax Looper.

While that GOP result merely baffles me -- I have no idea whether I should think it's good or bad -- I'm quite pleased by the news on the donkey front. I'm not enthralled with Obama, but man-oh-man, would I prefer to see him as president rather than Bush-lite -- I mean, H. Clinton. The mendacious tactics the wanna-be co-presidents employed against Obama in South Carolina cemented that preference for me. And while it's true, as people like Justin Raimondo have noted, that Obama is not a real anti-imperialist candidate, he's still much less of a hawk than HRC.

Finally, as of right now, Ron Paul is at 21% in Washington. And I think that's great! Folks, contrary to what some of you have concluded, I ain't anti-Paul! I think he mishandled the newsletters flap, and I certainly don't agree with every position of his -- in particular, I think his immigration stance is deplorable, and his "originalist" approach to the Constitution naive -- but, if I could personally pick the next president from out of the current batch of major party candidates, he'd be my choice. What's more, I'm glad he's raising the issues he is and drawing significant support. I just never saw him as having a real shot to be the nominee of a party whose membership is still largely behind the general Bush approach to the "war on terror."

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:58 PM

    Clinton is Bush-lite? I've been thinking that Bush has been Clinton-lite all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is correct, but I think a lot of Republicans went out to vote against McCain to show they think he's not conservative.

    I don't know whether the theory is:

    (A) They know McCain is going to get the nomination, and so this is a costless way of keeping him on his toes,

    OR

    (B) They are mobilized now to support Huckabee in a last-ditch effort to stop the liberal McCain from getting the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops--I meant to say, "I don't know if this is correct, but I think THE THEORY IS THAT a lot of Republicans..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness