What is with this "codes" business?

Twice today I have run across descriptions of books that say that they include "source codes."

In 18 years of programming, I never heard that word pluralized: no one ever said "Today I wrote eight source codes." We wouldn't have known what the person was talking about. You might write eight lines of source code, or eight modules of source code, or eight programs.

To my ear, pluralizing the word implies that there is something that one could identify as "one source code." But there isn't.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I had to translate that fucking program into seven different source codes."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness