Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Remarks that leave one speechless

Every once in a while, someone says something so mind-bogglingly oblivious that I am left without a response. For some reason, one such remark is on my mind right now.

We were discussing artificial intelligence, and something came up about computers and emotions. One commentor posted the following:

'It is very easy to make a computer feel sad. Just put in this line of code:
print "I feel sad."'

He was being serious.

I suppose if we asked this person to solve the problem of making a computer smaller than an atom, he would say it is easy:

print "I am smaller than an atom."

1 comment:

  1. Don't! You won't be able to find it afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...