What's My Line?

Today's mystery guest was called, by Eric Voegelin, "the greatest philosopher of history of the modern West." Let's give him a warm round of applause:
Voegelin also said that "in the course of the last 200 years no thinker has arisen who" equals me as an analyst of the political myth. Among the people upon whom I have had a profound influence I can count Samuel Coleridge, Karl Marx, James Joyce, Benedetto Croce, and Marshall McLuhan, and yet I am relatively unknown, even among professional philosophers.

Who am I?


Comments

  1. Gibbon? (Totally random guess.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not Hegel unless Hegel's writing is more than 200 years old.

    I have no idea but two "scriptwriter" guesses: Jesus or Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Hegel must be wrong. Not dead long enough. Plus Samson also picked him.

    Weber is also not dead long enough. Hmmm... this is pretty hard.

    If I get a second guess -- Giambattista Vico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott wins the cigar!

      Delete
    2. "Plus Samson also picked him."

      That's simpler and more elegant than the date thing.

      Delete
    3. "That's simpler and more elegant than the date thing."

      Oi!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness