Friday, October 07, 2011

If You Don't Pronounce Italian Badly, Like Me, I Will Correct You!

I was just reminded of a scene in Two for the Money where Matthew McConaughey correctly pronounces bruschetta as 'brusketa," and Al Pacino "corrects" him, and says "No, it's 'brusheta'!" I've gotten this in my neighborhood a number of times: "No, it's muhzarell!" or, "No, it's proshoot!"

If you want to pronounce Italian correctly, listen to the way Italian-Americans say a word, and then say something else. At least you'll have a shot at getting it right.

1 comment:

  1. In restaurants, I never pronounce words. I simply point to the menu.

    If I pronounce an exotic word correctly, then I am a snob.

    If I pronounce an exotic word incorrectly, then I am a philistine.

    So all that is left to do, is say, "I'll have this one here, what you describe as an assortment of chicken, cheese, and tomatoes."

    ReplyDelete

An orgy

“The advancement of science and the rationality of politics are interwoven in a social process that, in the perspective of a more distant f...