I decided to move some discussion from this post up to the top level here. Specifically, Watoosh wrote: "Well, if violence is defined as initiation of force (which, of course, presupposes certain property rights), then I think Rockwell is correct..." Well, if we define cats as elephants, then many people keep elephants in their house. More seriously, firstly, violence is not usually defined that way. It's defined as, you know, violence, so that, say, someone may respond violently or non-violently to someone who aggresses against them. Otherwise, it would make no sense to say, for instance, "He punched me, but I did not stoop to violence in response." And, secondly, the libertarian usage of "initiation of force" is very offbeat. If I wander onto someone's meadow, most people would not say I had "initiated force" -- I mean, sure, I used "force" against the earth to push off walking, but that's not force directed against...
People think I've said stuff that I really didn't, all the freakin time. Join the club.
ReplyDelete(And to head off the obvious reply: Bob really did trivialize the suffering of the victims of climate change and he heroically "stands by" his remarks. Just check the link.)
Another author named Gene?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Great-Depression-American-Ways/dp/1566634717/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217356652&sr=8-2
I am trying to think of a joke regarding your psychological condition, Gene. But nothing is sufficiently clever to post.
ReplyDeleteYes, they must be thinking of Smiley.
ReplyDeleteBob,
ReplyDeleteThis is what you are looking for:
Bipolar Callahan FL
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:6wmsa7d-MGIJ:articles.directorym.com/Bipolar_Callahan_FL-r287-Callahan_FL.html+callahan+depression&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us
Maybe they're confusing you with that more well-known Callahan, Colleen?
ReplyDeleteJudith McDonald, Anthony Patrick O’Brien, and Colleen Callahan. “Trade Wars: Canada’s Reaction to the Smoot-Hawley Tariff.” Journal of Economic History 57, no. 4 (1997)