Liveblogging Wood: The Ideological American Revolution

"And certainly ideology, it used to be thought, could not have been involved in that most practical of revolutions -- the American Revolution.

"Few historians of the Revolution believe that anymore. It now seems clear that the Revolution was very much an ideological movement... In fact, I would go so far as to say that the American Revolution was as ideological as any revolution in modern Western history..." -- The Idea of America, p. 321

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:02 PM

    I wasn't aware that anybody thought that the AR wasn't ideologically driven. I mean, the concept of revolution is almost synonymous with ideology, in my mind. Well, a change of ideology, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I mean, the concept of revolution is almost synonymous with ideology, in my mind."

    Only revolutions since the 17th century can really be characterized that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:16 AM

    Well, I am not too knowledgeable of history before the 17th century, being more read on American history. So, what were the causes of revolutions before that period? Religion, I am guessing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Religion would only be a big factor starting in the 16th-century; mostly, group X was in charge and group Y wanted to take over, or something of the sort.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness