Tiger Mom Sighting

This happened a year ago, but I just heard the story today:

My (Filipina) wife was touring a high school with our son, after he had been accepted to (but not yet confirmed he was going to) LaGuardia High School, New York's performing arts secondary school. A Chinese mom was standing next to the two of them at one point, and asked if he was likely to attend the school they were in.

My wife responded, "No, he's probably going to LaGuardia."

The Chinese mom asked "What is he going for?"

"Music."

"Ah! Which instrument: piano or violin?"

When my wife admitted it was... drums, the woman looked aghast, and immediately changed the subject.

Comments

  1. I like how piano and violin were automatically the only options allowed in her question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you read the "Tiger Mom" story from the WSJ (linked), you'll see those were the only two options allowed to the writer's daughters, as well.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Like father, like son. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness