Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ever Have Trouble Leaving the Office?


I had a student who requested a meeting today. She was a couple of minutes late, and I had to use the gents, so I stuck a post-it on my door saying "Be right back." When I returned I took down the note, then thought, "Hmm, I might as well save this for future use: I'll just stick it on the inside of my door."



The trouble is that now the note is facing in at me, so every time I try to leave the office, I see it and think, "Oh, someone is coming right back here: perhaps I had better wait for them."


2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to take it the other way, and say you were interpreting it as an imperative statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epimenedes door.

    ReplyDelete

Zeno for the computer age

If you wish to better understand Zeno's worry about the continuum, you could do worse than to consider loops in software. Case 1: You...