Stravinsky on Mussolini

"I don't believe that anyone venerates Mussolini more than I ... I know many exalted personages, and my artist's mind does not shrink from political and social issues. Well, after having seen so many events and so many more or less representative men, I have an overpowering urge to render homage to your Duce. He is the saviour of Italy and – let us hope – Europe." -- Igor Stravinsky, 1930

And what had Mussolini saved Italy from, per Stravinsky? Bolshevism.

I note this not to condemn Stravinsky, but to put Mises's remarks on Il Duce in context (once more). Many, many people had good things to say about Mussolini in the late 20s and early 30s. Mises had lots of company!

Comments

  1. "Mises had lots of company!"

    Churchill and Gandhi included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:50 PM

    http://archive.mises.org/18257/mises-on-fascism-again/

    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1989/jun/15/jews-and-geniuses-an-exchange/

    Perspective helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You're Mussolini" were part of the origianl lyrics to You're the Top

    As was "You're cellophane" then a new new thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness