Cover Bands: The Pattern Continues

I have found in the past that I could stop grudgingly paying respect to bands for catchy tunes, because they ripped them off from someone much cooler. E.g. no need to think Vanilla Ice (Ice Ice Baby) is good, since he ripped off the tune from Queen/David Bowie (Under Pressure). There are a couple of more like this that escape me right now (maybe Dylan songs?), where I realized that someone much cooler had written the original of a song that I associated with more modern punks.

Anyway, I just learned that UB40 ripped off Red, Red Wine from Neil Diamond. Since I don't own a CD past 1985 (OK a bit of an exaggeration but not much), you'd think I would have known that. True story: My dad actually played with Neil Diamond back in the day, and has an autograph to prove it. ("Pat, you're a gas. --Neil")

Now for your enjoyment:

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    You do realize these people pay to cover these songs, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. But they don't pay me to think they're talented.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness