On the US "Imperialist" Issue

I was listening to a talk radio guy (heaven forbid I hear any music that is modern) and a soldier called him up, complaining about Tom Harkin's comments. The host said something like:

"Well that's what the Democratic Party thinks of you. John Murtha thinks you're a bunch a rapists and murderers who go on a killing spree, and he didn't even apologize when that turned out to be a complete fabrication. John Kerry thinks you're too stupid to do anything but join the military. And Barack Obama's pastor, Jeremiah Wright, compares you to the Roman legions..."

At that point I was pulling into my office building's parking lot and there was a black woman going in, so I turned off the radio. On the off-chance the radio guy said something ridiculous, I didn't want to have to say, "I don't agree with him, really I don't! Some of my favorite comedians are black people!"

But anyway, I think it is wrong when today's conservatives say that the US can't possibly be an empire, because we are helping the countries we liberate. Well holy cow, don't you think the average Roman (and British subject in the 19th century) thought the same thing? They built roads for those savages, by Jove! (Gene please correct me if they didn't swear like this.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness