Greetings from Sunny Amsterdam

Off to the Van Gogh Museum with Adam today. Yesterday I told my friend Robert Hensgens that I find his country frustrating -- I like being forced to speak a foreign language when I travel, as its the only way I ever really learn one well. But here, everyone speaks English better than I do. Adam remarked, "No, what about that guy in the airport?"

"Adam," I replied, "that was Heathrow Airport."

The worst English speaker I've encountered on my trip to the Netherlands was a BA employee in London.

In other matters: Last night, Adam was asked by a friendly burgher what the most notable difference was between New Amseterdam and Amsterdam. He said, "The bicycles."

Some of them are more equipped than a basic car: Multiple storage compartments, two or three child seats, headlamps, windshields, etc. The bikes even have their own traffic lights.

UPDATE: Thinking of my travels --
Bad places to be forced to learn a foreign language: Montreal, Quebec, Florence, London, Cancun, Dublin, Cardiff, Amsterdam.
Good places to be forced to learn a foreign language: Sicily, working in an American grocery store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In ancapistan, if you have no property, you have no rights

If Fractional Reserve Banking Is Fraudulent, Then So Is...

St. Paul and I Agree...