Vegas Update #1

Here at the Harrah's hotel waiting for the annual APEE conference. Yesterday I walked away from the blackjack tables when I was down about 60% of my bankroll for the trip. I sat with the most annoying guy ever.

First, he was really slow in deciding what to do (like hit his 16 against the dealer face card). I'm not superstitious so I don't care if you "take" the dealer's bust card or anything like that. But if you're slow, that's just annoying.

Second, he was inconsistent in his dumb plays (so I guess that's a good thing). The best (worst) was when he split his kings against the dealer 7 or something, then got another king. Mercifully he stayed on that hand.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to sit at a $15 table and not be crowded. I had worried that the tables would be much pricier. (My first time in Vegas.)

Anyway, I was treading water and then the shoe was about +10 and I got crushed after five or six hands. Then later the final blows occurred when the shoe was around -10 and I kept getting things that I "had" to double down against the dealer 5 or 6, knowing full well I would get a 3 and the dealer wouldn't break. Ah well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness