The Lord's Dutch Lunch

I'm reading the section of Eric Voegelin's History of Political Ideas on Locke at present. Voegelin was no fan of Locke's, considering him more of a purveyor of popular ideas than a philosopher. He quotes Locke on why the State has no interest in excommunication as a civil rights violation:

"For there is no civil injury done to the excommunicated person by... refusing him that bread and wine, in the celebration of the Lord's Supper, which was not bought with his but with other men's money."

Voegelin comments: "This exquisite interpretation of the Lord's Supper as the Lord's Dutch Lunch, to which one may have a title because one has paid in advance for the victuals, is Locke's unique contribution to Christian doctrine..."

From the same section:

"The seventeenth century produced a curious assortment of Gods. For Grotius, God was a roving merchant who wants all men to keep commercial intercourse over the seven seas; for Hobbes, he was the Leviathan sitting on the proud; for Louis XIV, a king with a court; for Locke, he is a manufacturer who does not want his property to be damaged."

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:49 PM

    The page is so wonderful that I want to write something about myself.
    I am so happy to get some latale online gold and the latale gold is given by my close friend who tells me that the latale money is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should buy latale online gold with the spare money and I have gained some cheap latale gold from other players.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness