I decided to move some discussion from this post up to the top level here. Specifically, Watoosh wrote: "Well, if violence is defined as initiation of force (which, of course, presupposes certain property rights), then I think Rockwell is correct..." Well, if we define cats as elephants, then many people keep elephants in their house. More seriously, firstly, violence is not usually defined that way. It's defined as, you know, violence, so that, say, someone may respond violently or non-violently to someone who aggresses against them. Otherwise, it would make no sense to say, for instance, "He punched me, but I did not stoop to violence in response." And, secondly, the libertarian usage of "initiation of force" is very offbeat. If I wander onto someone's meadow, most people would not say I had "initiated force" -- I mean, sure, I used "force" against the earth to push off walking, but that's not force directed against...
Gene, I was just curious about something. Of course, we all know that you are no longer a libertarian and that your economics is no longer what can be described as purely Austrian (though, I sense a great amount of Austrian influence still present), but you still have been rather kind to Ron Paul.
ReplyDeleteYour comments regarding the newsletters was pretty good and I agreed for the most part, and you seem to support his stance on foreign policy. So, I must ask, what are some of the things that you like about Ron Paul?
This is a little off-topic, but regarding your move away from libertarianism, I feel that you are often unfairly criticized for this. If it is any consolation, even though we may disagree on certain topics, I still think you're alright and I also think that you're pretty darned good when it comes to philosophy. Which brings up another question: why did you pursue a career as an economist if your heart seems to lie in philosophy?
Sorry to ask that on this post, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while and I haven't found a good place to bring it up.
"Which brings up another question: why did you pursue a career as an economist if your heart seems to lie in philosophy?"
ReplyDeleteBut Joseph, I have not pursued a career as an economist: it has pursued me! (Seriously, I am teaching economics right now as that is the job that opened up.)
Oh, and thanks for your kind words.
ReplyDeleteHey, no problem, Gene. I am a pretty open-minded guy, and I can easily tell when somebody is being vilified just because he is no longer part of the club. Personally, I am a man who believes in never burning bridges over such trivial matters.
ReplyDeleteOn my question:
I guess I should have phrased that differently. I should have asked why you pursued an education in economics if philosophy was your true passion?
If I were to guess, I would say that it is because economics is probably the closest thing to philosophy in which there is a greater prospect of getting work. Plus, from a philosophical point of view, economics is pretty darned interesting-- there is plenty of philosophical content in economics.