Unscientific Kooks, Part 17

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear-headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as the result of my research about atoms this much: All matters originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."

-- Max Planck, from his Nobel Prize acceptance speech

Comments

  1. Cool. I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: I encourage atheists to look into the "fine tuning" evidence. Unless you go the infinite universes route, I think it's pretty inescapable that there is an intelligent creator.

    The specific book I read on this was Lee Strobel's The Case for a Creator, which honestly was a lot better than I was expecting. (Usually pop Christian writers are bad with rigor.) As I recall, he interviews a bunch of experts, and only one line of argument seemed goofy to me. The rest was pretty solid, and surprising. E.g. it's not just the charge on an electron and stuff like that. It's things like, if we didn't have a moon, we would have been bombarded, etc.

    (You're right Silas, I've never taken an astronomy class. Please tell me the errors contained above.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Libertarians, My Libertarians!

"Machine Learning"

"Pre-Galilean" Foolishness