Monday, January 02, 2012

Geertz on Ideology

I just re-read Clifford Geertz's essay "Ideology as a Cultural System." There's a lot in there supporting the Eric Voegelin's and Michael Oakeshott's understanding of ideology: They arise when a coherent worldview that had sustained a culture cracks, and people begin to desperately search for a way to make sense of things.

But Geertz lacks Voegelin's broad historical vision, and therefore thinks this loss of coherence that ideology attempts to patch over is permanent: we will all be ideologues from now on, forever. But civilizations have declined before, and ideologies arose in their wake. And then, one day, a new civilization-forming worldview coalesces, and the ideologies, mostly, disappear.

2 comments:

  1. Can we say then that ideology is a crutch, in a *good* way? Yes a crutch is clumsy and inflexible compared with living flesh and bone, but it's a lot better than dragging ourselves along on the ground if we have a broken leg. And as you say, in time our wounds will heal. Until then - hooray for ideology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Crosbie, reading Geertz is definitely making me think my position through again on this topic. Perhaps I am like the physical therapist who keeps pushing the patient to get off the crutch and start walking on his own legs.

    ReplyDelete

Sitting on the Docker Bay

Watching as the apps roll in... Imagine my surprise today when I found Docker asking me to re-start it, and I realized I have been runnin...